[funsec] 'Little Red Book' Draws Government's Attention

Nick FitzGerald nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 04:57:17 CST 2005

Richard M. Smith wrote:

> Besides Rathergate, another very good example of the media and the Bush
> administration using unverified sources with dubious motives is the PR
> campaign to get the U.S. to invade Iraq.  Basically none of the stories told
> about Iraq before the war can now be verified.  The problem by and large was
> relying on defectors and informants who were out to make a buck.

Oh no, the "intelligence lie" that sold the bulk of those in US and UK
politics that needed to be so sold, that Saddam had (or at least was
still actively trying to acquire/build/deploy) WMDs is much better
understood than that.

Despite some correspondents here earlier ignorant speculations that
there were, in fact, independently cohesively supporting, _and_
reliable reports backing up that position, it has now been fairly
incontrovertibly shown that the US (aka Cheney and Rumsfeld) had
already decided that it (they) should go to war in Iraq on the pretense
that WMDs and what they must really, in their hearts, have known to be
non-existant "links with Al Quaida" could "justify" their illegal
attack on Iraq.  Several UK and US diplomatic and intelligence folk
have now independently disclosed that, individually and partially
independently they were encouraged, directed and in a few cases
cajoled, into producing selective "intelligence" and associated biased
"analysis" of the same specifically to _support_ the reasons for going
to war that had already been pre-determined somewhere high-up in the US
power hierarchy (Cheney, Rummy, Condi?).  That selected and biased
"intelligence" was further winnowed and massaged until it beautifully
fit the needs for which it was produced.

Sure, part of that "intelligence" was from unreliable sources, but that
alone can not account for the abject failure of intelligence gathering
and analysis processes of the UK's and US's pre-eminent intelligence
services.  Those processes were clearly deliberately bypassed and
subverted to ensure that the "intelligence" clearly suggested that only
one line of action could be "justified".

Shrub's recent outbursts about "that goddamed piece of paper" are only
one of many, many, direly telling symptoms of the total corruption of
the government of Paul's favourite fellow Texan.

Oh, and the reason for Cheney and Rummy wanting to go to war in Iraq?
Well, there's the oil of course, and the pork-barrell "rebuilding"
contracts for their favourite corporations, and the assurance that
their otherwise pathetic President would never not get re-elected
during a war -- if you're a US a voter and ever thought or uttered "it
would us [or "Bush"] look weak" then welcome to being part of the
world's biggest problem.  And Paul and his buddies all fell for it too,
just as they were expected to by their favourite political leaders...

But you gotta love the US, eh?  Let's see -- I've visited China once
this year and the US once.  Guess which country took a photograph of me
at immigration _AND_ finger-printed me, although I have no criminal
record of any kind and a "clean" record in terms of all the issues you
have to declare for immigration and customs purposes in both countries?

Yep, that's right, that morally degenerate, freedom-repressed, emerging
from (or is that into?) the third-world, fascist country the United
States of America...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald