[funsec] Hey old people

Drsolly drsollyp at drsolly.com
Wed Dec 21 17:27:58 CST 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Drsolly wrote:

> > > So presumably LINK.EXE also first appeared in DOS 2.0 (or a later
> > > version)?
> >
> > Unfortunately, I no longer have my PC Dos 1.1 diskette.
> >

> And with PC Dos 1.1, you also got exe2bin.exe
>
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~rvtol/pcdos110.html

And edlin. Ah, edlin. I actually used edlin. When I first got a PC, 1983,
I was used to using mainframes and minis like the PDP and Vax. So I said,
OK, where's the editor, where's the compiler, because with mainframes and
minis, you use what's there, no choice. So I used Edlin and Basica for
programming, and I used it for a full six weeks before I realised that I
could buy the IBM Professional Editor and the Microsoft Fortran Compiiler.

And let me tell you, you don't want to use edlin as an editor, and Basic
programs (in that old version of Basic) set like concrete within a few
weeks of writing them.