[funsec] FCC v Mom

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Fri Nov 11 22:09:34 CST 2005

# Silly me, I would think that the ability to have 911 service on your phone
# would be a good thing

yes, indeed.  and if my phone reported its gps location whenever i made a
call, i'd be happy.  however, my phone is now reporting its gps location as
part of its keepalive/beacon/here-i-am/background signalling, which means
any law enforcer who has read the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. act can find out where i
am/was or get a tracking subpoena to find out where i usually am/go.  while
i have no current plans to do anything to get noticed by law enforcement,
i know that there is a difference between peace activists and terrorists,
and i know that law enforcers often see no difference at all between these,
and i'm more than a little concerned about the new defaults slamming down.