[funsec] UltraDNS: Internet Security Shield?

Jordan Wiens numatrix at ufl.edu
Wed Oct 19 09:53:32 CDT 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, John Payne wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2005, at 10:44 AM, Jordan Wiens wrote:
>
>> Sure, the IP may be resolvable, but in the event of a network failure or a
>> ddos on the public internet, it doesn't matter if you can resolve the
>> domain, it's still likely to be unreachable.
>
> I think you're looking to overstate the problem that this is trying to solve.
> There's a very specific problem-set and this is a very specific solution to
> that.

That's why I quoted their summary -- they appear to make that claim:

"In the event of a DDoS attack on the public Internet or other network
failure, DNS Shield partner customers' queries are isolated from the
effects and continue to be resolved locally ensuring domains powered by
UltraDNS are 100% accessible."

My point is that those domains are not necessarily 100% accessible.  They
may be 100% resolvable, but it's not the same thing.

When a newspaper reporter reads that and writes up a story, do you think
it's going to say that UltraDNS protects the ability of a domain to be
resolved, but not necessarily access to the server that's resolved?  Or do
you think it's going to say that it "protects servers against DDoS
attacks"?

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Security Engineer