[funsec] Pentium Computers Vulnerable to Attack?

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 19:02:34 CDT 2006

On 4/11/06, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:53:41 -0000, Fergie said:
> > Interesting -- Anyone else see this?
>
> Summarized for the cynical among you:
>
> "If you hijack the SMM code, and then use a blowtorch, you can hijack
> the Pentium".
>
> If you can use a blowtorch, you got physical access and it's game over anyhow.
>
> If you can scribble on the SMM code, you 0wn the box already.
>
> I'm not at all sure what the point is here, unless they've found a new way
> to get into the SMM code and then force a *spurious* SMM trap *without* already
> r00ting the machine....

Send user to some site with a lot of flash apps with tons of tiny
infinite loops.. try to get processor to overheat and then inject? I
bet you it would work against those $200 PC's from Walmart that seem
to overheat at the drop of a hat. Might also work against a laptop..

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator