RE: [funsec] How did they ever get this suitcase on a commercialairliner?

Alex Eckelberry AlexE at
Mon Aug 7 09:44:36 CDT 2006

It's not clear that they actually went through the screeners.
Pretty darned interesting though.

From: funsec-bounces at [mailto:funsec-bounces at]
On Behalf Of Richard M. Smith
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 10:14 AM
To: funsec at
Subject: [funsec] How did they ever get this suitcase on a
 Researchers with
suitcase<>  open

Drive-by hacks from a suitcase

August 3, 2006 5:27 PM PDT

Luca Carettoni (left) and Claudio Merloni are security consultants at
Milan, Italy-based Secure Network. The two created the BlueBag to raise
awareness about the potential of attacks against Bluetooth-enabled
devices, they said in an interview at the Black Hat security event in
Las Vegas.

The BlueBag is a roll-aboard suitcase filled with hardware. That gear is
loaded with software to scan for Bluetooth devices and launch attacks
against those, the two men said.

"We started evaluating how Bluetooth technology was spread in a
metropolitan area," Carettoni said. "We went around airports, offices
and shopping malls and realized that a covered bag can be used quite
effectively for malicious purposes."