[funsec] 3 Arrested on Terrorism Charges in Mich. forbuyingprepaid cellphones

Drsolly drsollyp at drsolly.com
Sat Aug 12 19:11:56 CDT 2006

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Richard M. Smith wrote:

> Here's info on the 2nd set of cell phone arrests down in Ohio:
>
> http://www.mariettatimes.com/news/story/new11_811200683259.asp
>
> Prosecutors say they are confident the men are linked to a terrorist network

"are confident" translates to "we just know that this has to be ..."

> and filed additional felony charges Thursday relating to the buying and
> selling of specific microchips found in only a few types of cell phones.

And that's scary. Are there some types of mobile phones that contain chips
that it's illegal to possess?  Can I be arrested in America if I'm
carrying one of these mobiles?

> Authorities say the phones are being modified by terrorists to make
> untraceable international calls

Well, that's certainly illegal. But they aren't being charged with that.

> and also in the production of roadside bombs.

Ditto.

> Authorities say Abulhassan and Houssaiky admitted to buying more than 600
> TracFones in the past month and reselling them to an individual in Dearborn,
> Mich.

Is that a well-known terrorism nexus? Is there a cell of Al Qaida that has
offices there?

> "They were being paid by check for the phones they purchased. This was not
> cash under the table or some hidden thing," Baumgartel said. "These are
> college students. This is what college students do. They're more willing to
> drive around to try to make money."

And that's exactly what it sounds like to me - a perfectly legal
buy-it-cheap, sell-it-at-a-margin deal.