[funsec] Cheap cellphones.

Drsolly drsollyp at drsolly.com
Sun Aug 13 14:37:40 CDT 2006

I already have a cellphone.

But I've just been looking into buying a handheld GPS, because my wife and
I go walking a lot.

I can buy the Garmin Etrex Vista cx for £268 at a cheap UK vendor.

But on Ebay, there's people selling them for £182. Looking carefully, I
can see that these sellers are in the USA,

In the UK, I'd be paying VAT. Buying from the US, the vendor doesn't have
to pay VAT. I guess he's paying his own taxes, but that isn't my problem.

This is the grey market in action. It's legal; the only people who are
hurt, are the people who are trying to sell the same product in different
countries, at very different prices. Ebay is the medium for international

I imagine a GPS could be used by terrorists. But so can a baseball bat.