[funsec] Consumer Reports Slammed for Creating 'Test' Viruses

Blue Boar BlueBoar at thievco.com
Thu Aug 17 13:10:44 CDT 2006

Blanchard_Michael at emc.com wrote:
>  Certainly is my opinion, I can't give anyone else's ;-)

I say that because you assert it like it's a provable fact.

>   When is it appropriate to write a new virus that the rest of us get stuck cleaning up?

For one, I agree with Jericho (apologies if I'm putting words in his
mouth) that generating a new virus is probably the best way to test a
virus scanner that is expected to detect new viruses.  I'm pretty sure I
already know what the answer would be before I even tried, but if I were
trying to test it, that would be how I would want to do it.

If I were trying to see how quickly AV companies could write a signature
for a new virus, there's one obvious way to do that.

					BB