[funsec] Consumer Reports Slammed for Creating 'Test' Viruses

Blue Boar BlueBoar at thievco.com
Thu Aug 17 15:16:56 CDT 2006

Axel Pettinger wrote:
> Sorry, but in both cases it certainly isn't necessary to create new
> malware. Simply open your eyes, there're enough "new" malicious code
> files lying on the "street" of the Internet. Simply collect them and use
> them to test your favorite av scanners. Do that for a while then you'll
> know what you can expect from them. At least such samples are real
> malware samples found ITW ...

So, take some random program I find in the wild that I don't know its
history, what it does, which AV companies have already seen it and have
a head start on, can't control how different it is, whether it actually
functions, whether its designed to screw with my test results, etc...

I hope that's not how most people would perform a fair test.

						BB