[funsec] U.S. Plans Massive Data Sweep

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Feb 9 15:06:02 CST 2006

--On Thursday, February 09, 2006 15:36:55 +0000 Fergie
<fergdawg at netzero.net> wrote:

> Via The CSMonitor.
> [snip]
> The US government is developing a massive computer system that can
> collect huge amounts of data and, by linking far-flung information from
> blogs and e-mail to government records and intelligence reports, search
> for patterns of terrorist activity.
> The system - parts of which are operational, parts of which are still
> under development - is already credited with helping to foil some plots.
> It is the federal government's latest attempt to use broad
> data-collection and powerful analysis in the fight against terrorism. But
> by delving deeply into the digital minutiae of American life, the program
> is also raising concerns that the government is intruding too deeply into
> citizens' privacy.
This is the part I don't understand.  How is database-ifying publicly
available information "intruding too deeply into citizens' privacy"?

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member