[funsec] Amish Teen illegally wiretaps neighbors Phone

dparis at w3works.com dparis at w3works.com
Thu Feb 23 12:37:52 CST 2006

The way I read it, the Aronsons are pretty well in the clear.  The
Quigleys used wireless phones with a frequency that could be picked up by
an (assuming untampered with) police scanner.  That's public airwaves.
The only argument that can be then made is "is it legal to record anything
broadcast on public RF channels?"  If so - then the Quigleys just learned
a very expensive lesson in why you shouldn't say anything you don't want
printed as a headline of the New York Times - or if you do, use corded
phones (requires legally[?] sanctioned wiretaps), or cordless phones which
either a) change frequency between handset and basestation periodically,
b) encrypt between handset and basestation, c) do not use frequencies that
are picked up by police scanners or d) some combination of the above.

Still, 10.5MM$USD?!  Give me a break.

Best~
-dsp