[funsec] Database design.

Drsolly drsollyp at drsolly.com
Tue Jun 6 18:00:45 CDT 2006

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Andrew wrote:

> Drsolly wrote:
> > 400 computers at 100 watts per computer, would need 40 kw. Space
> > requirement - you could put it in a double garage. Aircon requirements
> > wouldn't be too bad, you could probably go with 20 kw to augment the
> > natural cooling.
> >
> > Hardware really is cheap.
> >

> You're having us on.
>
> A common model two processor server class machine requires 450 watts.
> The BTU rating for this same server is 1535 per hour. A middle of the
> road Liebert can accommodate 12,000 BTU. Your server setup is cranking
> out more than half a million BTU.  And natural cooling?  What is that
> exactly?  A spring breeze over the backs of your 16,000 pounds of
> hardware? Maybe the racks could sit in a meadow and chill in the morning
> dew.

I measured the consumption of a single-cpu (Celeron) server, plus drives.
That was 110 watts

1535 btu/hour is 450 watts. So, maybe your servers do need 450 watts, I
can't say. But I do know that mine eat 110 watts.

"Natural cooling" is the way that some heat will leave a heated room even
if you don't pump it out.