[funsec] Ransomeware

Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah rMslade at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 19 23:13:41 CST 2006

Date sent:      	Sun, 19 Mar 2006 07:40:19 +1200
From:           	Nick FitzGerald <nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk>

> I'm not sure he actually pleaded insanity (he was extradited from the
> US to the UK, where he was found guilty, and he was tried in absentia
> in Italy and also found guilty)

To be pedantic, the last info I had was that in the UK he was found "unfit to
plead" (basically bats in the bitstream) and therefore could not, technically, be
found guilty.

> There was also some evidence (found in the US when he was arrested by
> the FBI (?) to face the UK extradition hearing??) that the Dec 89
> postal drop in the UK was possibly a "trial run" for a much larger drop
> Popp was planning.

If I remember correctly the "evidence" was a 200,000 address mailing list with
similar characteristics to the 10,000 addresses used in the UK and Europe.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade at vcn.bc.ca      slade at victoria.tc.ca      rslade at sun.soci.niu.edu
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not
waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
                                                       - Jack London
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev    or    http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade