[funsec] How ABC News help out a Congressional page

rms at bsf-llc.com rms at bsf-llc.com
Thu Oct 5 12:20:52 CDT 2006

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/10/statement_from_.html

Statement from ABC News

October 05, 2006 12:16 PM

ABC News

On Friday, ABC News published instant messages between a former page and
Congressman Foley with the IM screen name of the teenage victim redacted.
Immediately, we discovered that in one instance, the screen name of the teen
on one IM exchange had not been properly redacted.  ABC News immediately
took down the posting [version 1], redacted the screen name and re-published
the posting [version 2].  We certainly believed that we had taken care of
the issue quickly.  Last evening, after an inquiry from Matt Drudge, it came
to our attention that a blogger was able to access our deleted file [version
1] by typing in a slightly modified web address.  To be clear, no one
visiting our website would have simply stumbled on the old version.  We
thank the blogger and Drudge for bringing this to our attention.