[funsec] Whacked Out MPAA Mojo: 'Be Loyal, Kind and Don't Steal Movies'

Fergie fergdawg at netzero.net
Fri Oct 20 14:05:56 CDT 2006

This is subtley disturbing, -- or maybe just flat-out sickening.

I mentioned this article over on the funsec jabber conference
room earlier, but here it is for your reading pleasure.

Never mind downloading a movie or two, but how about a a campaign
of fear and loathing, based on mistruths, bad DRM technology, and
reckelss lawsuits against grandmothers? :-)

Via The Boston Globe (AP).

[snip]

A Boy Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, etc., etc. He is also
respectful of copyrights.

Boy Scouts in the Los Angeles area will now be able to earn a merit
patch for learning about the evils of downloading pirated movies and music.

The patch shows a film reel, a music CD and the international copyright
symbol, a "C" enclosed in a circle.

The movie industry has developed the curriculum.

"Working with the Boy Scouts of Los Angeles, we have a real opportunity
to educate a new generation about how movies are made, why they are
valuable, and hopefully change attitudes about intellectual property
theft," Dan Glickman, chairman of the Motion Picture Association of
America, said in a statement Friday.

[snip]

More:
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/10/20/be_loyal_kind_and_dont_steal_movies/

Enjoy.

Gak... I feel dirty just reading that...

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg(at)netzero.net