[funsec] Idaho Killer Holds Encryption Key to Laptop Mystery

Brian Loe knobdy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 14:29:16 CDT 2006

On 10/20/06, Dennis Henderson <hendomatic at gmail.com> wrote:

> > How many of the people the Spanish Inquisition tortured were *really*
> guilty,
> > and how many just cracked and agreed to anything the torturer wanted?  How
> many
> > of our soldiers in Vietnam cracked and divulged secret info, and how many
> just
> > cracked and "confessed" for a Viet Cong photo op?
>

> On torture i'll refine my comments and stick to very tactical situations,
> like preventing the end of the earth or slightly less.
>
> And then agree with you more so on the strategic views that you reference
> like the Inquisition and Salem Witch trials etc... toture is not a very
> reliable way to gain primary information from a prisoner.

Its not a fair comparison. In one case you're expecting people to
admit to being something that doesn't exist - there is no right answer
so you'll say anything to get them to kill you and end the torture
(see previous posts by me).

> I do believe however that most people could bring themselves to cause
> whatever injury necessary to keep themselves or other people from being
> killed.

I believe it, and I've read a study that verified it. Anti-gun idiots
like to bring it up as an argument for their side. I've never been
able to make that leap of logic but the study's findings were
interesting. Had to do with a person's willingness to shock another
human...they're quite willing.