[funsec] Security Vendor Bypasses Microsoft's Vista PatchGuard

Blue Boar BlueBoar at thievco.com
Wed Oct 25 13:20:34 CDT 2006

Larry Seltzer wrote:
> I don't take it seriously when people assert that there will always be
> another way to bypass PatchGuard, and any real vendor who does it is
> nuts.

There will be.  Just not one that the vendors can get away with using.
Doesn't bother the guys selling your machine for $0.20/installation though.

> Microsoft will find a way to block the technique and then they're
> SOL.

One of the big reasons why that's not useful to a vendor.  That, and MS
will tell customers that their machine is no longer supported if they
use Brand X with Kernel Extensions Y.

>In any event, this is just about some security functions on 64-bit
> Windows systems, a relatively small part of the market for years to
> come.

As a percentage of all machines out there, I wouldn't argue.
But if you're a Windows shop, you will have to have some of your servers
be 64-bit.  You won't have an option for some of the backend stuff Real
Soon Now.

						BB