[funsec] Delicious Irony of the Day: BillOReilly.com DDoS'd

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Mar 10 23:21:20 CST 2007

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:04:02 CST, Brian Loe said:
> On 3/10/07, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
>
> > I don't know who was behind it (cut to background montage of the now infamous
> > "what really happened" Joe Lieberman website hack),
>
> I'm still under the impression that it was an unpaid bill that brought
> down the site. Its not like a web site ever won an election anyway...

And how many different versions of the story went by, including the server
being hacked into, and DDoS'ed off the net?  So I simply reserve judgment
that it was in fact a DDoS and not a publicity stunt, until I've caught up
on the news.

> > but I do know that it
> > would likely have not been as easy to perpetrate if so many people weren't
> > tools of a capitalistic monopoly software vendor.
>
> What monopoly? And before you answer, tell us what you're running on
> the machine you're typing from.

The number of convicted monopolists in the software industry is pretty
low, so I'd expect that you should be able to figure out "What monopoly?"
by yourself.  And convicted of it in an *AMERICAN* court, no less.

> What's wrong with capitalism

Nothing's wrong with capitalism, *when it works*.  The problems start when
it gets unbalanced and a monopoly forms, and capitalism ceases to work.

The monopoly in question finally shipped DST patches in the last few
weeks.  *MY* vendor shipped their fix back in September.

Of 2005.

>                              - other than its American and you hate America?

I hate America the exact same way the Indian in the 'Keep America Beautiful'
ads hated nature, for essentially the same reasons.

> > Hmm.. I may be needing to sleep in my asbestos jammies tonight. :)
>
> Dreams of lawsuits dance in your head?

YHBT. HAND. :)