[funsec] Delicious Irony of the Day: BillOReilly.com DDoS'd

Drsolly drsollyp at drsolly.com
Sun Mar 11 05:10:48 CDT 2007

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, Chris Blask wrote:

> At 08:34 PM 3/10/2007, Drsolly wrote:
> > > That seems debatable...when the US decisded property was an
> > > inalienable right, their cousins in the UK were still bowing to a
> > > king.
> >
> >When we British decided that, we hadn't yet been invaded by William.
> >America wasn't stumbled upon for several centuries after that.
>
> What is unique about the US is that for the most part no-one cares
> what your ancestors did.

Do you know, I can't remember anyone ever asking me what my father did?
Let alone anyone further back. I don't think you're unique.

> There's too much peering over the shoulder
> with mirrors in much of the rest of the world.  Rand said it best
> <sic> "every child in Europe is told from birth that they owe a pound
> of flesh to the state",

No-one told me that when I was a child. And I don't think any of my frieds
were told that, either. Let me guess, Rand is American, am I right? And
displays the usual American misapprehension that America is somehow better
than other countries?

Listen - there's nothing wrong with thinking that you're living in a great
country. Most Europeans think that too. What can be a tad annoying is
thinking that other people don't.

>  and that state is as much the inertial mass
> of history as anything.  That's imho the key ingredient to the
> American solution - a bit more looking to what can be done and a bit
> less worrying about what should be done based on the past.

ROFL! You forgot - America is still locked in the 1770s, with state
legislation of individual morality, adults of 19-20 unable to buy
themselves a beer and prostitution illegal in almost every state. They
even tried to make all alcohol illegal a few decades ago, and what a
fiasco that was! And *still* they try to legislate for individual
morality. Did you know that they've outlawed the word "Nigger" in New
York? Crazy, and a complete non-understanding of the fact that words
change their meanings over time.

The American solution is to substitute words for deeds, slogans for
actions and that frozen brown watery stuff for beer.

> BTW, I live in Canada and have the 1881 deed for our property,
> wherein it goes to great length to say that all of the timber upon
> and minerals beneath the land belong to Victoria, by the Grace of God
> Emperess of India, Queen of England...  Seems a bit of a nuanced take
> on inalienable property rights.

Not nuanced at all. It says quite clearly who the property belongs to.
What I think you mean, is that you wish it belonged to you.

> Victorian England (again, imho) was
> one of the great cultures of all time and laid the foundation for
> modern western society, but it still carried the fetters of European
> monarchal momentum.  Modern England (much as I love it), still
> struggles with many of those old yokes but seems at the moment to
> lack the Victorian generations' irresistible determination.

Most Americans completely fail to understand the idea of constitutional
democracy with a monarch as Head of State. They fail to understand that we
are no more "yoked to the monarch" than American are yoked to the American
flag. Both are a symbol of the state; the main difference is that you
can't fly the queen from your truck.