[funsec] Delicious Irony of the Day: BillOReilly.com DDoS'd

Drsolly drsollyp at drsolly.com
Sun Mar 11 17:16:47 CDT 2007

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, Chris Blask wrote:

> At 03:25 PM 3/11/2007, Drsolly wrote:
> > > ...now I miss that point.  The state owns the property on my property
> > > and that is still somehow inalienable property rights for me, the
> > > citizen?  Yes, I wish my property belonged to me, that being kinda
> > > the theme song of inalienable property rights...
>
> >Likewise in this case. If you own a piece of land, there might be a
> >right of way across it, in which case you don't have the right to put up a
> >fence that blocks that right of way. There might also be a covenant to
> >manitain your fences that you agreed to when you bought the property. It
> >might also specify that another person has grazing rights on part of your
> >property, and another one has the right to gather firewood.
> >
> >Now you might *wish* that you owned all those rights. But that doesn't
> >mean you do, or that you should.
> >
> >However, the rights that you do have on your property, are inalienable.
>
> >Hope that explains what I meant.
>
> I hear what you are saying, but the point is that the state in this
> case took so many of the rights that what was left is arguably
> without much value and does not represent "owning the land".  By the

That just means "I want more rights than I currently have".

> Victorian deed the holder of the property had the right to live on
> it, but owned neither what was above the soil nor what is below the
> soil.  That does not leave a lot of room to inalienably own anything
> as far as real estate is concerned...

The fact that I don't own the air that I breathe, has never bothered me.
And since I'm not trying to run a coal mine, if I don't have the right to
dig a mine on my land, that doesn't bother me either. Although maybe I do
have that right. Like I said, since I'm not prospecting for coal, I'm not
bothered.

> Fortunately those terms and conditions no longer apply, I can fell my
> own timber and dig my own sand.  The Jon Stewart book "America,
> Democracy Inaction" has a great bit on this <sic> "Canada over
> decades of negotiation with the British Monarchy earned the right to
> dry cod on land in Canada".  That's freedom for you! ;~)

No, it's capitalism. If you don't own the right to something, then you
have to purchase that right, or swap it for something else, or negotiate
something, or do without. I currently do not have the right to build an
atomic power station on my land. Indeed, I don't even have the right to
build seventeen more houses on my land. If I wanted either of those
rights, I'd have to take action to acquire them, just like if I want a
book, I have to go buy it.