[funsec] Re: Eats shoots and leaves... (was Re: anime thread

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Mar 16 10:52:54 CDT 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:06:15 CDT, Gadi Evron said:
> Cognetive system issues or am I writing Hebrew in English again?

"I know that what you thought you wrote wasn't what I thought I read, but
I don't know if you know that what you thought I read isn't what I thought
you wrote" :)

Been there, done that - English is a word-order parsed language (the parts
of speech are denoted by their order in the sentence - subject, verb, indirect
object, direct object, yadda yadda yadda).  Latvian is an inflected language,
so all the words are sorted by relative order of importance and the word
endings sort it all out.  The upshot of it all is that when my mother starts
a sentence in one language and finds she needs to change languages mid-sentence
(usually due to her being unable to remember a word in one language or the
other), she can find herself with a pile of words that won't fit into the
sentence so far...

(And no, I don't have the foggiest idea what the Latvian for 'cd-rom' is
either, so I'd end up equally mystified whether or not my mom changed languages
trying to ask me a question about one :)