[funsec] Computer error rocks Alaska's fund

John Forrister john at segfault.com
Tue Mar 20 11:25:22 CDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 10:10:50AM -0400, Richard M. Smith wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070320/ap_on_hi_te/lost_data_3
>
> There was still hope, until the department discovered its third line of
> defense, backup tapes, were unreadable.

Now repeat after me:  "You haven't completed a backup until you've complete
a test restore".

This is a whole bundle of WTF's.

They were able to go back to the paper archives and recreate the data by
hand.  This time.

This case serves as a perfect example as to why paper records should be
mandatory for certain functions (I'm thinking about voting specifically,
but other areas certainly apply).

-John

--
John Forrister