[funsec] Computer error rocks Alaska's fund

Nick FitzGerald nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 16:02:57 CDT 2007

Drsolly wrote:

> And what happened when they went to a competent data recovery company?
> Any of the three disasters above is possibly recoverable. I know that I
> used to handle all those types of problem, with a pretty good success
> rate.

If you hit one of the news sites' coverage of this you'll see that they
spent about US$200,000 -- ~US$70,000 on consultants (who presumably
determined that the following was the best apporach) and most of the
rest on overtime and additional part-time workers recreating the lost
data by scanning "300 boxes" of hard-copy (filled forms, copies of
birth certificates, etc).

Oh yes, and they now have a "verify the backup can be restored" step in
the backup plan!

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald