[funsec] I think that more of my state tax dollars need to go to security

Don Blumenthal dmblumenthal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 08:22:14 CDT 2007

Virus wreaks havoc on state's computers
Detroit Free Press
March 28, 2007

Customers at Michigan Secretary of State branch offices Tuesday can
blame their wasted visit on the Rinbot virus.

The virus hit computer systems operated by the State of Michigan,
preventing Secretary of State's Office branch employees from doing

It's the second time in a month that the state has been hit with a
computer virus.

The one about three weeks ago took 48 hours to fix, said Kurt Weiss,
spokesman for the Department of Information Technology.

He recommended that residents who plan to visit a Secretary of State's
Office branch today should call to make sure the computers have been

Don M. Blumenthal
Technology, Law, and Policy
dmblumenthal at gmail.com
202-431-0874 (c)