[funsec] I think that more of my state tax dollars need to go to security

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Mar 28 09:15:10 CDT 2007

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:56:52 BST, Drsolly said:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> > A) Name a state agency or service who's budget you will cut, and be prepared to
> > live without that service at current levels.  You take it from higher ed, you
> > have to accept the tuition hike that will follow.  You take it from transportation,
> > you have to live with more potholes and dangerously degraded bridges.

> C) Reduce the politicians salaries.

That's merely a special case of A. :)

And cutting salaries is problematic too - at least in Virginia, there aren't
enough legislators that even reducing their salary to *zero* would net enough
funds to make a dent in the cost of any statewide initiative.

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/legismgt/about/05salary.htm

For 2005, they got paid $18,000/year Senate, $17,640/year House for a part time
job that's horrendously scheduled - you have to be semi-retired or otherwise
have the means to live on $18K/year, and/or take 4 months of vacation a year.

Phrased differently, we could fire the entire Commonwealth legislature,
and the resulting savings would add maybe 50 competent sysadmins to the
entire state government.  Big dent *that* would be.