[funsec] GSS warns that hackers can now destroy hardware

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Sep 28 15:50:33 CDT 2007

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:55:41 CDT, Brian Loe said:
> On 9/28/07, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:27:03 CDT, Brian Loe said:
> >
> > > It was described as an actual lab setup complete with someone
> > > "hacking" the system and causing the damage.
> >
> > So a rigged demo. :)
>
> What would constitute a non-rigged demo for you? Live, production systems?

Roll the NBC Dateline footage of the exploding pickup truck again...

There's a world of difference between a "see, it could happen" video and
something we actually need to worry about.

(Personally, I'm about 350 times more worried about utility failures caused
by worms accidentally propagating onto a SCADA net than I am about intentional
attacks, if for no other reason than there's a lot more probing bots out there
than there are actual cyberterrorists.  But that's just me.)