[funsec] GSS warns that hackers can now destroy hardware

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Sep 28 22:08:05 CDT 2007

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:57:23 CDT, Brian Loe said:
> On 9/28/07, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
>
> > > What would constitute a non-rigged demo for you? Live, production systems?
> >
> > Roll the NBC Dateline footage of the exploding pickup truck again...
>
> That was that, this is this. This is where cynicism becomes a
> hindrance to progress.

Maybe if there had been a bit more cynicism being a hindrance, we'd not have
had the progress into a war based on the intelligence equivalent of a rigged
demo.

> > There's a world of difference between a "see, it could happen" video and
> > something we actually need to worry about.
>
> This is something we actually need to worry about.

I never said it wasn't.  What I objected to was the rigged demo and then the
implication that the sky is falling because every power plant had the same
issue.