[funsec] Evil Internet, Yet Again

Michael Simpson mikie.simpson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 03:04:04 CDT 2008

On 4/3/08, Peter Evans <peter at ixp.jp> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 10:35:27AM -0400, Larry Seltzer wrote:
> > How can something with that kind of battery generate 600 volts?
>
> > http://wcbstv.com/topstories/Shocking.Camera.Arrest.2.691020.html
> > Teen Arrested For Modifiying Camera Into 'Taser'
>
>        600V is trivial for those, even from a 1.5v battery. Get one yourself,
>        take out the flash unit and see.
>

>        It's not the volts that kills, it's the amps. (Anyone that says amperage
>        here is a plonker!)
>
>        For more fun, tesla coils, then you can play with some serious welly.

It also depends on the route that the current takes!
surprisingly low amounts of energy can have a big effect on the heart.

I have personally done this repeatedly whilst waiting for staff to set
up the necessary kit to insert a temporary pacing wire into a punter:

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17327252>

Also have used this about 15 times (10 of which have been successful)

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_thump>

That's about 4 joules!

And there is this:

<http://emj.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/17/6/421>

There is also the apocryphal story of an engineer killing himself by
inserting the electrodes of an ohmmeter into both thumbs to measure
his body's resistance.

The main thing to avoid is any impulse or shock coming anywhere near
the heart during the repolarisation phase of the heart beat coz this
can lead to this

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsades_de_pointes>

Or just a plain old ventricular fibrillation arrest.

So in summary:
It's not the amount of current but the route that it takes and when it
happens in the heart beat that matters. Unless you are messing about
with tesla coils/high tension wires of course.

:-)

mike