[funsec] symantec to buy pc tools

Nick FitzGerald nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 18 17:55:32 CDT 2008

Alex Eckelberry wrote:

> http://www.symantec.com/about/news/release/article.jsp?prid=20080818_02

Isn't this the second time?

Many, many years ago Symantec bought Central Point Software, the parent
company of the products "PC Tools" (which was a (once) popular competitor
to the Norton Utilities) and of Central Point AntiVirus (CPAV).

IIRC, they then promptly killed all of CP's products with the exception
of CPAV -- probably the single crappiest "big name" AV of its time --
which they rebadged as Microsoft AntiVirus (which then became the
crappiest "big name" AV of the time).  Or maybe CP had already done that
deal with Microsoft, before the Symantec purchase, so that MS could
include an AV -- _any_ AV -- in the MS-DOS v5.0 release?  (I heard MS
wasn't willing to pay very much in royalties for the privilege of
bundling whatever AV they could get, hence they got the crappiest and one
of several "obviously failing" products at the time...)

Regardless of whether the CPAV/MS deal was pre- or post-Symantec buyout,
I'm fairly sure Symantec actually produced detection update files for
MSAV for a while after it bought CP, but not for long/very regularly.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald