[funsec] TrendMicro goes Douchebag

Dude VanWinkle dudevanwinkle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 13:57:02 CST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 2:14 PM, Paul Ferguson <fergdawg at netzero.net> wrote:

> - -- "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I didn't think it was an attack against open source software, but
> >rather a patent on "virus scanning on ftp and smtp gateways"
>
> Why? It's a valid patent -- it was invented & implemented by our
> (now CEO) Eva Chen.

While that may be true, I still think it is a douchebag thing to enforce.

If someone started charging all for "transmitting information over a
physical medium" and I had to pay for talking, I would call a spade a
spade and say "that sucks".

It doesn't make it any different that I am friends with someone who
works at the company in question.

Do all AV companies pay Dr. Solly for "checking code for malicious activity"?

> If you don't like the patent system, rail against that.

Don't get me started ;-)

-JP