[funsec] TrendMicro goes Douchebag

Drsolly drsollyp at drsolly.com
Wed Jan 30 18:19:31 CST 2008

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Paul Ferguson wrote:

> - -- "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I didn't think it was an attack against open source software, but
> >rather a patent on "virus scanning on ftp and smtp gateways"
>
> Why? It's a valid patent -- it was invented & implemented by our
> (now CEO) Eva Chen.
>
> If you don't like the patent system, rail against that.

It's the choice of each company to either use the patent system for
software, or not use it. The fact that an activity is legal, doesn't mean
that it's a nice thing to do.

Trend, apparently, have chosen to do a legal, but not-nice thing. So, some
people will conclude, that Trend is a not-nice bunch of people. Even if
you're offended by them thinking this.