[funsec] DHS official expresses interest in shock bracelets for airplane passengers

John LaCour johnlacour at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 10:44:28 CDT 2008

Of course it's mostly not true.

This comment was posted to the Washington Times blog which carried this story:

By: S&Tspokesman

Shocking, but False

Sometimes it just amazes me how these stories evolve. Let me start off
by saying that the Department of Homeland Security's Science &
Technology Directorate nor TSA have been pursuing shock bracelets for
airline passengers as alleged by the Washington Times Blog.

This allegation stemmed from a misleading video posted on the Lamberd
Website which depicts an ID bracelet that would contain identifying
information as well as the ability to stun the wearer. The company
claims to connect use of such a device to DHS and TSA, but no
discussions between these agencies has ever taken place.

This all originated from a meeting held two years ago with a private
company representative (not Lamberd) who proposed bracelet technology
detain an apprehended suspect.

The bracelet was never intended to replace boarding passes, contain ID
information or be worn by all passengers as asserted in the Lamberd
video and discussed in the Washington Times Blog.

The hypothetical use of the bracelet would have been for transporting
already apprehended prisoners and detainees at prisons and border
patrol facilities, and DHS was looking to see if there were potential
air travel applications for apprehended suspects.

This concept was never funded or supported by the DHS or TSA and
hasn't even been discussed for two years. The letter circulating
throughout the blogosphere from Paul Ruwaldt was not addressed to
Lamberd and merely states the DHS was interested in learning more
about the technology. Neither side followed up.

DHS/TSA does NOT support the asserted use and has not pursued the
development of such technology.