[funsec] UK 'Spying' Requests Exceed 500,000

Michael Simpson mikie.simpson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 09:41:16 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Tomas L. Byrnes <tomb at byrneit.net> wrote:
> According to crime stats, it's Holyrood you need to be afraid of:
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article568214.ece

When i worked at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary we had a funny moment (one of many)
At that time 50% of all knife crime took place in Glasgow and 75% of
casualties ended up at the royal. During my tenure there we did the
first resaerch on bony lacerations since the Crimean war and looked at
the use of emergency thoracotomy in the treatment of penetrating
trauma. This brought us to the attention of a well respected American
Professor of Emergency Medicine who wished to oversee the way we
treated serious knife injuries.

He and our charge nurse (Derek) were walking done the department when
he asked "How many knife injuries did you have in here last month?" to
which Derek replied
"Oh last month was a good month, we only had 2!"

"You mean i came all the way here to study treatment of knife injuries
and you only treated 2 cases last month!!" said the prof.

"No ,you misunderstood. We treated hundreds of knife injuries last
month but only 2 people were stabbed IN the department" said Derek in
his usual droll fashion.

How we laughed

mike