[funsec] Operating System in US ATMs

Bruce Ediger eballen1 at qwest.net
Tue Jun 3 11:49:39 CDT 2008

I stopped by a branch of my bank (Compass Bank) in Denver today to
withdraw some cash from the ATM.  An unmarked mini-van blocked access, and
some character in "business casual" garb had the front of the ATM pillar
tipped up.  I took a glance inside to see what the innards of an ATM look
like.  It had what looked like a standard PC case inside.

I asked the guy repairing it what operating system it ran.  He said,
"Windows.  Windows XP based, actually."

Is my bank asking for a repeat of Ross Anderson'a "Phantom Withdrawals"?
http://www.phantomwithdrawals.com/

Along those lines, how often do bank IT departments go as far south
as Ross Anderson has documented?

--NSA--CIA--FBI--NRO--TSA--JENKEM--DHS--BUTTHASH--TIARA--GHCQ--ECHELON--
           As for you government types intercepting this,
           thanks for keeping us safe from our freedoms.
       Warrantless wiretapping is un-American and unpatriotic.