[funsec] McColo: Major Source of Online Scams and Spams Knocked Offline

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Thu Nov 13 08:59:55 CST 2008

rsk at gsp.org (Rich Kulawiec) writes:

> And that's the most interesting part of the story. Clearly, many of us
> "out here" could see that McColo, like Atrivo/Intercage, was a major
> source of badness.  Why couldn't the providers servicing them -- who
> quite obviously had access to far more data than any of us -- see the
> same thing?
>
> What conclusion should we draw from their failure to act in a timely
> and professional manner, long before a WaPost reporter got involved?

it's one thing to when you know, it's something else when you know that
everybody else also knows.  revenue is king and technology/security people
are pawns.  cynically perhaps, i am convinced that had mccolo only been
doing bots and spam, they'd be alive today.  but they touched the "third
rail" of american law enforcement -- child porn.
--
Paul Vixie