[funsec] "Hard drive destruction 'crucial'" (BBC)

Andri Möll andri at dot.ee
Sat Jan 10 04:27:55 CST 2009

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 21:51:14 +0200, Andri Möll said:
>
>> Overwritten data can be recovered too.
>
> Do you have an actual citation any newer than Peter Guttman's work
> to back that assertion up?

None other than Gutmann's once plausible paper[1]. On the safe side, shredding
multiple times seldom costs more.

   1:  http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

> Hint: If it were economically feasible to recover overwritten data,
> the large data-recovery companies would offer that service.

I think what's possible and what's reasonable to offer for consumers is a
different topic. We're likely to end up talking about governments and conspiracies.

Andri