[funsec] Data on Obama's Helicopter Breached via P2P?

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Sat Mar 7 10:25:20 CST 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 01:17:59PM -0500, Alex Eckelberry wrote:
> I'm more surprised to see an entire company built around protecting
> organizations (apparently, mostly federal) against P2P data loss.
>
> In other words, this is a company whose entire business model is
> dependant upon admins who don't simply disable all P2P traffic on their
> network.
>
> I'm not discounting the reality of the p2p issues out there, but it
> seems to be a solution in search of a problem.

<shrug> There are entire companies built on providing anti-virus
software, when of course the correct solution to that problem is
not to use the markedly inferior operating systems which are
extremely vulnerable to them.

There are entire companies built on providing anti-spam products,
when of course the correct solution to that problem is to
blacklist abuse sources and abuse support services (in many cases,
permanently) or, in particularly egregious cases, to firewall or
null-route them.

There are entire companies built on providing devices and software to
detect unwanted network traffic, when the correct solution is to design
networks so that they only permit necessary/wanted traffic.

These problems are only difficult for the people who choose poorly
and thus *make* them difficult.

---Rsk