[funsec] Corporate cultural clash?

Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah rMslade at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 3 12:56:53 CST 2009

Not all "mergers" make sense, even in the name of reducing costs:

"The Department of Homeland Security will announce Friday that the public-
private U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team (CERT) will merge with the
National Coordinating Center for Telecommunications (NCC), an interagency
group of 22 Federal departments and agencies first created by a U.S. President in
the aftermath of the Cuban Missile Crisis.  The pending merger was discussed
October 29 at a conference on cyber issues at the National Defense University.
One expert at the conference expressed concern that centralizing the functions of
the two groups might work against their effectiveness given the widely distributed
nature of the Internet. “The primary issue this affects is in response. The military
itself is commanded hierarchically but distributes capability among different
commands. Unifying the agencies can help with funding but slow response and
dilute capability,” said an associate professor at the Calumet campus of Purdue
University."

Source: http://www.dodbuzz.com/2009/10/29/dhs-to-announce-cyber-merger/

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade at vcn.bc.ca     slade at victoria.tc.ca     rslade at computercrime.org
I have never been hurt by anything I didn't say.   - Calvin Coolidge
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored http://twitter.com/rslade