[funsec] Customers 'blamed for card fraud'

Martin Tomasek tomasek at ufe.cz
Sun Oct 4 14:57:35 CDT 2009

Juha-Matti Laurio napsal(a):
> The banking industry says Chip and Pin is secure and each dispute is judged on its own merits.

This is funny. I don't live in the UK and I was told the same thing by
customer care representative in my bank. THey even refused to admit that
as long as they keep magnetic stripe on chip&pin cards, the cards are
actually _less_ secure than the cards without chip.

But, years ago, I invented technique now called 'card locking' and
wanted my bank to implement it. They liked the idea and actually started
using it. You can unlock your card for some time and make your payment
only when unlocked. I think this technique could have helped fraud
victims in the UK too, it would prevent most of fraud attempts.

--
Martin Tomasek