[funsec] Scammers exploit public lists of hijacked Hotmail passwords

Juha-Matti Laurio juha-matti.laurio at netti.fi
Thu Oct 8 15:39:32 CDT 2009

"Scammers have grabbed the Hotmail passwords that leaked to the Web and are using them in a plot involving a fake Chinese electronics seller
to bilk users out of cash and their credit card information, a security researcher said today.

"We've seen a 30% to 40% increase in these types of spam messages in the last several days," said Patrik Runald, senior manager of Websense's security research team.
"By 'these types of spam,' I mean messages that are advertising great consumer electronics bargains, such as cameras and computers.""
--clip--

More at
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139092/Scammers_exploit_public_lists_of_hijacked_Hotmail_passwords

But it was just some days ago when Microsoft announced that it has been locked these account - during the weekend already...

Juha-Matti