[funsec] Scammers exploit public lists of hijacked Hotmail passwords

Juha-Matti Laurio juha-matti.laurio at netti.fi
Thu Oct 8 15:39:32 CDT 2009

"Scammers have grabbed the Hotmail passwords that leaked to the Web and are using them in a plot involving a fake Chinese electronics seller
to bilk users out of cash and their credit card information, a security researcher said today.

"We've seen a 30% to 40% increase in these types of spam messages in the last several days," said Patrik Runald, senior manager of Websense's security research team.
"By 'these types of spam,' I mean messages that are advertising great consumer electronics bargains, such as cameras and computers.""

More at

But it was just some days ago when Microsoft announced that it has been locked these account - during the weekend already...