[funsec] ICANN Approves Non-Latin Domain Name Characters

Dan Kaminsky dan at doxpara.com
Sat Oct 31 10:10:54 CDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 7:07 AM, der Mouse <mouse at rodents-montreal.org> wrote:
>> So have the security implications of these new domain names really
>> been thought through?
>
> Of course not.  Security is an afterthought.  Making money for the
> infrastructure companies comes first.
>
> It's been a long time since Internet governance had anything to do with
> governing well (as opposed to profitably).

Oh, come off it.  There are reasons to make changes to networks other
than security.  It's a genuine, non-corrupt reasonable demand that you
should be able to have your own language in DNS.  They've been
wringing their hands about security for a few years now, around this
very issue.  Not saying they've gotten everything right, but I can't
imagine the real testing work being done by the actual implementers
(OS vendors) without the domains being officialized like this.