[funsec] "Zuck" mail?

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Tue Dec 28 06:40:20 CST 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 07:15:23AM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 06:34:08 EST, Rich Kulawiec said:
>
> > Slightly more seriously: there is no substantive difference between any
> > of these other than their tactics.
>
> I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.  Somehow, I think when you
> conflate Facebook's sending overenthusiastic invite reminders from their own
> servers and people running botnets to advertise kiddie-porn sites, and call
> them equally evil [...]

<shrug> And I think that a plausible argument can be made that what
Facebook et.al. are doing is worse -- in the long run, not in the
obvious/immediate sense.  (I'm not going to try to articulate that
argument here; too lengthy and not appropriate anyway.  But I'll suggest
that putting aside the emotion over hot-button issues like kiddie porn
is a first step toward considering the relative scale, scope and nature
of the diverse -- and inter-related -- threats we face.)

---rsk