[funsec] IT change or die

Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah rMslade at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 31 17:22:45 CDT 2010

Date sent:      	Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:21:12 -0500
From:           	RandallM <randallm at fidmail.com>

> someone fill in the blanks here for me?

Well, I can try, but I suspect that there are a whole lot of them.

> http://www.v3.co.uk/v3/news/2260510/roles-2020
>
> change or die???

Constant change is here to stay.  However, as Deming pointed out, it is not
necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory.

> is the security sector involved in this?

No.  We have a list of "best practices," and we know that, by definition, they will
never change.

> "Business
> Objectives" means ????

The "business objective" is getting more business.  For example, if you are a
consulting company, and your ideas are really no better than anyone else's, your
objective is to send out vague press releases about things people already know
about, but dress them up in alarming sounding language, so that people will pay
attention to you.  For example, you could take the well-known fact that
technology changes, as it develops, and then turn that into a really scary sounding
press release threatening that people might lose their jobs if they don't pay
attention to the changes, and hope that some lame trade rag, on a slow day, might
actually make the mistake of believing it to be news.

Of course, almost everybody who reads it would understand immediately that it is a
puff piece, but you might find find a few people of limited background who think
there is something important in it.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade at vcn.bc.ca     slade at victoria.tc.ca     rslade at computercrime.org
If you put tomfoolery into a computer, nothing comes out of it
but tomfoolery. But this tomfoolery, having passed through a very
expensive machine, is somehow ennobled and no-one dares criticize
it.                                                 - Pierre Gallois
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored http://twitter.com/rslade